Hi there! I’m a PhD candidate at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) at the University of Amsterdam.
I work on structure in Neural Machine Translation under supervision of Ivan Titov, Wilker Aziz, and Khalil Sima’an. My research is part of the project Machine Translators: Teaching Computers to Translate Using Their Own Words.
- 19-27 Jul 2017. TA at Lisbon Machine Learning Summer School (LxMLS 2017). Lisbon, Portugal.
- 21-28 Jul 2016. Lisbon Machine Learning Summer School (LxMLS 2016). Lisbon, Portugal.
- 18-24 Oct 2015. Deep Learning 4 Machine Translation (DL4MT) Winter School. Dublin, Ireland.
- 23-26 Sep 2015. Google NLP Summit. Zurich, Switzerland.
- Graph Convolutional Encoders for NMT. TBA.
- FREVAL – An All Fragments Parser Evaluation Metric that generalizes the widely-used PARSEVAL.
Joost Bastings, Ivan Titov, Wilker Aziz, Diego Marcheggiani, Khalil Sima’an. (2017) Graph Convolutional Encoders for Syntax-aware Neural Machine Translation. ArXiv preprints.
Joost Bastings and Khalil Sima’an (2014). All Fragments Count in Parser Evaluation. Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’14). Reykjavik, Iceland. [BibTeX]
- 2015–Now. PhD Candidate at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation, University of Amsterdam.
- 2012–2014. Trainee at Volvo Cars. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2010 Extreme Blue & Explovate intern at IBM. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
MSc Artificial Intelligence
University of Amsterdam. 2009 – 2012. Cum laude.
Thesis: The Graph Symbol Model: Context-Free Parsing with Context
BSc Artificial Intelligence
Utrecht University. 2006 – 2009. Cum laude.
Thesis: Finding Words in Continuous Speech
Check out my Github profile @bastings or find my contact details at my ILLC page.