Hi there! I'm a PhD candidate at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) at the University of Amsterdam.
I work on Statistical Machine Translation and meaning preservation under supervision of Professor Khalil Sima'an and Associate Professor Ivan Titov. My research is part of the project Machine Translators: Teaching Computers to Translate Using Their Own Words.
- 21-28 Jul 2016. Lisbon Machine Learning Summer School (LxMLS 2016). Lisbon, Portugal.
- 18-24 Oct 2015. Deep Learning 4 Machine Translation (DL4MT) Winter School. Dublin, Ireland.
- 23-26 Sep 2015. Google NLP Summit. Zurich, Switzerland.
- FREVAL – An All Fragments Parser Evaluation Metric that generalizes the widely-used PARSEVAL.
Bastings, Joost & Sima’an, Khalil (2014). All Fragments Count in Parser Evaluation. Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'14). Reykjavik, Iceland. [BibTeX]
Bastings, Joost (2012). The Graph Symbol Model: Context-Free Parsing with Context. Master's Thesis. ILLC, University of Amsterdam.
- 2015–Now. PhD Candidate at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation, University of Amsterdam.
- 2012–2014. Trainee at Volvo Cars. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2010. Extreme Blue & Explovate intern at IBM. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
MSc Artificial Intelligence
University of Amsterdam. 2009 – 2012. Cum laude.
BSc Artificial Intelligence
Utrecht University. 2006 – 2009. Cum laude.
Check out my Github profile @bastings or find my contact details at my ILLC page.