Hi there! I’m a PhD candidate at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) at the University of Amsterdam.
I work on structure in Neural Machine Translation under supervision of Wilker Aziz, Ivan Titov, and Khalil Sima’an. My research is part of the project Machine Translators: Teaching Computers to Translate Using Their Own Words.
- Jan-April 2018. Research intern at Facebook AI Research. New York, USA.
- 25 Sep 2017. Google NLP Summit. Zurich, Switzerland.
- 9 Sep 2017. EMNLP 2017.
- 7 Sep 2017. Invited talk at DLID workshop, BMVC 2017, London.
- Jul/Aug 2017. ACL 2017 and ACL NMT workshop.
- 12 July 2017. Invited talk at Textkernel.
- Jul 2017. Lab teacher at Lisbon Machine Learning Summer School (LxMLS 2017). Lisbon, Portugal.
- Jul 2016. Lisbon Machine Learning Summer School (LxMLS 2016). Lisbon, Portugal.
- Oct 2015. Deep Learning 4 Machine Translation (DL4MT) Winter School. Dublin, Ireland.
- Sep 2015. Google NLP Summit. Zurich, Switzerland.
- Graph Convolutional Encoders for NMT. Neural Monkey with GCN support.
- FREVAL – An All Fragments Parser Evaluation Metric that generalizes the widely-used PARSEVAL.
Diego Marcheggiani, Joost Bastings, Ivan Titov (2018). Exploiting Semantics in Neural Machine Translation with Graph Convolutional Networks. NAACL-HLT’18. New Orleans, USA.
Joost Bastings, Ivan Titov, Wilker Aziz, Diego Marcheggiani, Khalil Sima’an (2017). Graph Convolutional Encoders for Syntax-aware Neural Machine Translation. EMNLP’17. Copenhagen, Denmark. [bib]
Jan-Thorsten Peter, Hermann Ney, Ondrej Bojar, Ngoc-Quan Pham, Jan Niehues, Alex Waibel, Franck Burlot, François Yvon, Mārcis Pinnis, Valters Šics, Joost Bastings, Miguel Rios, Wilker Aziz, Philip Williams, Frédéric Blain, and Lucia Specia (2017). The QT21 Combined Machine Translation System for English to Latvian. WMT’17. Copenhagen, Denmark. [bib]
Joost Bastings and Khalil Sima’an (2014). All Fragments Count in Parser Evaluation. Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’14). Reykjavik, Iceland. [bib]
- 7 Sep 2017. Invited talk at Deep Learning on Irregular Domains (DLID) workshop, BMVC 2017, London. Graph Convolutional Networks for Natural Language Processing.
- 12 July 2017. Invited talk at Textkernel. Using Graph Convolutional Encoders for improved Neural Machine Translation.
- 2018 Research Intern at Facebook AI Research. New York, USA.
- 2015–Now. PhD Candidate at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation, University of Amsterdam.
- 2012–2014. Trainee at Volvo Cars. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2010 Extreme Blue & Explovate intern at IBM. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
MSc Artificial Intelligence
University of Amsterdam. 2009 – 2012. Cum laude.
Thesis: The Graph Symbol Model: Context-Free Parsing with Context
BSc Artificial Intelligence
Utrecht University. 2006 – 2009. Cum laude.
Thesis: Finding Words in Continuous Speech
Check out my Github profile @bastings or find my contact details at my ILLC page.
Follow me on